INSTAGRAM

Friday, May 23, 2014

Vera Neumann

I typically arm-clear design books out of the library if they look even remotely interesting, and then I flip through the massive pile while eating breakfast, sitting outside, and the like. Well, last weekend I cracked open this book and my jaw repeatedly hit the floor with every new page!
As artists and entrepreneurs Vera Neumann (1907-1993) and I have a lot in common. I was shocked to see so much of my life reflected on the pages of the book, and it's strange, too, because I've always liked the name Vera. As I have discovered, she is most well known for her splashy mid-century scarves, but her artwork has also been turned into other garments as well as bedding, dishware, and additional home decor. It's intriguing to get a sense of the creation processes she was involved in, and how she made a living out of surface pattern design before it went largely digital. 
Her style is a mix of free florals and simple geometrics, all in bright color combinations. I am most fond of her paintings of architecture, food, and flowers. Vera: The Art and Life of an Icon is an uplifting, educational book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...